DeMolay is an organization dedicated to preparing young men to lead successful, happy, and productive lives. Basing its approach on timeless principles and practical, hands-on experience, DeMolay opens doors for young men aged 12 to 21 by developing the civic awareness, personal responsibility and leadership skills so vitally needed in society today. DeMolay combines this serious mission with a fun approach that builds important bonds of friendship among members in more than 1,000 chapters worldwide.
DeMolay is both a club and a fraternity. Like a club, we meet regularly, plan events, and hang out together. But DeMolay is also a fraternity. We all share a bond, like a family. DeMolay is a great place to meet people who you’ll be friends with for life! However, unlike the stereotypical college fraternity, there is no hazing or drinking in DeMolay. We respect our brethren enough to know that those activities don’t promote a “brotherly” atmosphere.
As an organization made up of members and volunteers, the Order of DeMolay not only accepts, but desires and expects diversity in our members and adult leaders. Members of DeMolay International are encouraged to welcome and involve friends who share like interests as well as those who differ in their backgrounds. With Chapters throughout the Country and World, we have members from different ethnic, religious, social and economic backgrounds. The ability to work with these differences allows us to develop as the Leaders of Tomorrow. Providing a safe, educational and meaningful experience is the goal of DeMolay. We value all of our members and adult leaders who allow us to grow and develop.
There have been more than 2 million young men who have been members of DeMolay. Alumni include Walt Disney, John Wayne, Walter Cronkite, football Hall-of-Famer Fran Tarkenton, legendary Nebraska football coach Tom Osborne, news anchor David Goodnow and many others. Each has spoken eloquently of the life-changing benefit gained from their involvement in DeMolay.
Promises of the DeMolay:
- To strive to be a good son.
- To be faithful to confidences and trusts placed in you.
- To live a clean and moral life.
- To love and serve God according to the teachings of your family’s faith tradition.
- To be a loyal and patriotic citizen, and to defend the interests of your country.
- To remember the example of Jacques DeMolay, and strive to be faithful and trustworthy in all your commitments.
- To be loyal and supportive to other DeMolay members.
- To honor and respect all women.
- To be tolerant and understanding in your opinions of others.